FAQs About KU's Repatriation

Frequently Asked Questions

NAGPRA requires agencies and institutions that receive federal funds (including museums, universities, state agencies, and local governments) to repatriate or transfer Native American ancestral remains and other cultural items to the appropriate parties by:

  • Consulting with lineal descendants, Indian Tribes, and Native Hawaiian organizations on Native American human remains and cultural items;
  • Protecting and planning for Native American human remains and cultural items that may be removed from Federal or tribal lands;
  • Identifying and reporting all Native American human remains and cultural items in Inventories and Summaries of holdings or collections; and
  • Giving notice via the Federal Register before repatriating or transferring human remains and cultural items.

Students wishing to change the location of their class due to ancestral remains should contact the Student Access Center at access@ku.edu or 785-864-4064 to request assistance.

Being mindful of the sensitive nature of the situation, we recommend that instructors, chairs, directors, etc. thoughtfully ask constituents if they would like to request alternative class, work, or research locations. Any instructor seeking to change their class location should work with their department’s scheduling officers and follow the Course and Room Scheduling process outlined by the Office of the University Registrar.